115 2ND Street

    CRUMPTON, MD 21628
    • $139,000
    • STATUS: Active
    • ON SITE: 185 days
    • ID#: 1002259542
    UPDATED: 144 min ago
    $139,000
    • 3
      BEDS
    • 0.2
      ACRES
    • 1
      BATHS
    • 1
      1/2 BATHS
    • 1,464
      SQFT
    • $95
      $/SQFT
    Neighborhood:
    Type:
    Single-Family Home
    Built:
    1889
    County:

    School Ratings & Info

    Description

    This vintage charmer is tucked on a quiet side street in the Queen Anne~s County town of Crumpton. The historic village is located on a bend of the Chester River, and there~s a small community beach and boat ramp where you can put in a kayak or canoe. The original section of the house was built in the 1860s; the first owner was Maurice Welsh, one of the two men who founded the town. Some floor boards in this section are 17 inches wide, most likely made from logs felled on the site. The two-story front addition, with higher ceilings and bigger rooms, was likely added in the early 1900s. The spacious living room has lots of light, while the bright and cheery new kitchen and enclosed heated sunroom add to the living space. There~s also a dining room, laundry room, and full bath downstairs. Upstairs has 3 bedrooms and a half bath. A new, efficient propane tankless hot water heater provides central heat through baseboard registers. Roof, well, and septic are all in good working order. The landscaped yard features mature shrubs and trees, a pea gravel patio, and a new shed. The lot is bounded to the rear by the parking lot of the Methodist Church, and a beautiful (unbuildable) garden lot separates the property from the eastern neighbor. If you need more land, the triple lot across the street with three-bay garage may be purchased separately at an exceptionally good price. Crumpton is home to the nationally famous Dixon Furniture Auction, held every Wednesday since 1961. The town is just one mile off Route 301 for easy commuting north or south. This solid home has been reduced $15,000 and is an excellent value. HISTORY OF THE TOWN: In 1759, Henry McAllister from Oxford, MD, owned a farm at the bend in the Chester River that is now Crumpton. He started a ferry operation between the two shores (from Kent County to Queen Anne~s). Fast forward a hundred years to 1859, when two men from New Jersey bought 1300 acres on that riverbend and platted it into 29x120 foot lots with the vision of creating a new ~Baltimore on the Eastern Shore.~ They named their five-mile-square creation Crumpton after William Crump, who owned most of the land in the area. In 1865, McAllister~s Ferry was replaced by a wooden bridge spanning the river and in 1871, a tree-lined causeway of white oyster shells was constructed leading down to the ferry on the Queen Anne~s County side. By 1885, the town had a population of 600 with industries including peach canning, fruit drying, two lumber yards, steamboat operations, and selling pearls extracted from the mussels in the Chester River; Tiffany~s in New York was the main buyer. The town also had a creamery, a foundry, a hotel, and several general stores. At one point it was also known as a ship-building center. All of these industries were dependent on the river for getting in supplies and selling their products. The river also brought summer visitors and the famous ~showboats~ with onboard actors and bands. The original founders of the village had envisioned a commercial area in the heart of town, between Second and Third Street and Pine and Merchant. That never transpired. The only buildings built for commercial use were the hotel on the river at Front Street and Holloway Store on the corner of Broad and Second, both of which sit empty now. Other Mom-and-Pop businesses were run off the front porch or out of the living room of existing residences along Broad Street. As the river silted in over the decades and trains became the new means of travel and shipment, the businesses on the riverfront town slowly closed and the village became the sleepy settlement that it is today.

    Monthly Payment Calculator

    ©2019 Bright MLS, All Rights Reserved. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Some properties which appear for sale may no longer be available because they are for instance, under contract, sold, or are no longer being offered for sale. Information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Some real estate firms do not participate in IDX and their listings do not appear on this website. Some properties listed with participating firms do not appear on this website at the request of the seller. Data last updated: 2019-03-26T00:11:14.02.
    www.licatagroup.com/homes/87801065

    115 2ND Street CRUMPTON, MD 21628

    • Price: $139,000
    • Status: Active
    • Updated: 144 min ago
    • ID#: 1002259542
    3
    Beds
    1
    Baths
    1
    ½ Baths
    0.2
    Acres
    1,464
    SQFT
    $95
    $/SQFT
    1889
    Built
    Neighborhood:
    Crumpton
    County:
    Queen Annes
    School District:
    Queen Anne's County Public Schools
    Property Description
    This vintage charmer is tucked on a quiet side street in the Queen Anne~s County town of Crumpton. The historic village is located on a bend of the Chester River, and there~s a small community beach and boat ramp where you can put in a kayak or canoe. The original section of the house was built in the 1860s; the first owner was Maurice Welsh, one of the two men who founded the town. Some floor boards in this section are 17 inches wide, most likely made from logs felled on the site. The two-story front addition, with higher ceilings and bigger rooms, was likely added in the early 1900s. The spacious living room has lots of light, while the bright and cheery new kitchen and enclosed heated sunroom add to the living space. There~s also a dining room, laundry room, and full bath downstairs. Upstairs has 3 bedrooms and a half bath. A new, efficient propane tankless hot water heater provides central heat through baseboard registers. Roof, well, and septic are all in good working order. The landscaped yard features mature shrubs and trees, a pea gravel patio, and a new shed. The lot is bounded to the rear by the parking lot of the Methodist Church, and a beautiful (unbuildable) garden lot separates the property from the eastern neighbor. If you need more land, the triple lot across the street with three-bay garage may be purchased separately at an exceptionally good price. Crumpton is home to the nationally famous Dixon Furniture Auction, held every Wednesday since 1961. The town is just one mile off Route 301 for easy commuting north or south. This solid home has been reduced $15,000 and is an excellent value. HISTORY OF THE TOWN: In 1759, Henry McAllister from Oxford, MD, owned a farm at the bend in the Chester River that is now Crumpton. He started a ferry operation between the two shores (from Kent County to Queen Anne~s). Fast forward a hundred years to 1859, when two men from New Jersey bought 1300 acres on that riverbend and platted it into 29x120 foot lots with the vision of creating a new ~Baltimore on the Eastern Shore.~ They named their five-mile-square creation Crumpton after William Crump, who owned most of the land in the area. In 1865, McAllister~s Ferry was replaced by a wooden bridge spanning the river and in 1871, a tree-lined causeway of white oyster shells was constructed leading down to the ferry on the Queen Anne~s County side. By 1885, the town had a population of 600 with industries including peach canning, fruit drying, two lumber yards, steamboat operations, and selling pearls extracted from the mussels in the Chester River; Tiffany~s in New York was the main buyer. The town also had a creamery, a foundry, a hotel, and several general stores. At one point it was also known as a ship-building center. All of these industries were dependent on the river for getting in supplies and selling their products. The river also brought summer visitors and the famous ~showboats~ with onboard actors and bands. The original founders of the village had envisioned a commercial area in the heart of town, between Second and Third Street and Pine and Merchant. That never transpired. The only buildings built for commercial use were the hotel on the river at Front Street and Holloway Store on the corner of Broad and Second, both of which sit empty now. Other Mom-and-Pop businesses were run off the front porch or out of the living room of existing residences along Broad Street. As the river silted in over the decades and trains became the new means of travel and shipment, the businesses on the riverfront town slowly closed and the village became the sleepy settlement that it is today.
    Exterior Features

    Architectural Style Colonial Construction Materials Aluminum Siding Distance To Body Of Water 1 Dock Type Ramp Docks 0 Garage YN No Location Type River Other Structures Above Grade Parking Types Off Street Pool No Pool Water Access YN Yes Water Body Name Chester River Water Body Type River Water Oriented YN Yes Waterfront YN No

    Interior Features

    Above Grade Fin SQFT 1464 Basement YN No Cooling None Fireplace YN No Fireplaces Total 0 Heating Hot Water Heating YN Yes Inclusions Parking Included In Listprice Interior Features Dining Area Levels 2 Main Level Bedrooms 0 Upper Level1 Bedrooms 3

    Property Features

    Accessibility Features None Assessment Year 2018 Association YN No Central Air YN No Condo YN No Cooling Fuel None Dock Slip Conveyance None Available Electric 100 Amp Service Heating Fuel Propane - Leased Hot Water Bottled GasTankless Incorporated City Name None Mean Low Water Feet 3 Navigable Water YN Y New Construction YN No Original MLSNumber 300492388549:MRIS Ownership Interest Fee Simple Possession Settlement Sale Type Standard Senior Community YN No Sewer Septic Exists Structure Design Type Detached Tax Annual Amount 1235.86 Tax Assessment Amount 122600.0 Vacation Rental YN No Water Source Well Zoning Nc-20

    Listing courtesy of Village Real Estate Company Llc.
    ©2019 Bright MLS, All Rights Reserved. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Some properties which appear for sale may no longer be available because they are for instance, under contract, sold, or are no longer being offered for sale. Information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Some real estate firms do not participate in IDX and their listings do not appear on this website. Some properties listed with participating firms do not appear on this website at the request of the seller. Data last updated: 2019-03-26T00:11:14.02.
     
    The Licata Group/Keller Williams Realty
    36111 Goodwin Dr.
    Locust Grove VA, 22508